Undergoing chemotherapy or radiation for any type of cancer can be extremely debilitating. Although these treatment methods are often helpful in the aid of battling cancer into remission, they bring about other health concerns. The treatments don’t only attack cancer cells; other necessary healing components of the body are attacked as well. This results in numerous side effects: a common side effect that needs addressing is Oral Mucositis. This painful side effect of cancer treatments and other medical ailments can be treated with mucositis mouthwash like MuGard, which is available for a discount through Rx Assistance Programs for those who qualify.
What is Oral Mucositis?
Oral Mucositis is specifically a condition characterized by pain caused by inflammation in the mouth. Those who experience this condition are affected by side effects of sores on the lips, gums, and tongue inside the mouth. These sores can lead to bleeding, dry mouth, pain, swelling, and itching. Cancer treatments are not the only cause of Oral Mucositis. In fact, it can also be due to:
- Long-term chronic illness that reduces the efficiency of the immune system
- Prolonged alcohol and/or tobacco use
- Neglect of dental treatments or improper dental treatments
- Mouth injury
Is there a Cure for Oral Mucositis?
Since Oral Mucositis is usually caused from an outside source like infection or cancer treatments, there is no cure. There is, however, treatment for the pain and help for a more speedy recovery. There are things you can do to help your body heal itself and there are preventative methods that you can take so Oral Mucositis does not affect you. Preventative methods include:
- Brushing teeth thoroughly and completely after eating and before sleeping daily. To keep your toothbrush from growing bacteria, replace it often and store it in a dry place.
- Since dental problems can be a cause of Oral Mucositis, make sure that if you have dentures, they are properly fitted into the mouth. Improper wear can cause open sores which invite bacteria growth and in turn, Oral Mucositis.
- Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables that are good for the immune system. This includes anything with vitamin c (oranges, ginger, spinach), is green in color, or grows from the ground. Stay away from any foods or medicines that you may have an allergy to.
If you already have been diagnosed with Oral Mucositis, alternatives to medicine to help treat the condition include:
- Stop the use of tobacco and alcohol.
- Take smaller bites of food and swallow water after bites.
- Do not eat foods that cause further irritation in the mouth
- To rid excess bacteria build up, rinse the mouth with water frequently and gargle salt or baking soda and water solution.
- Eat foods that are softer on the mouth to reduce pain while eating
Mucositis Mouthwash for the Treatment of Oral Mucositis
If your doctor diagnoses you with Oral Mucositis, he or she may prescribe you with a mucositis mouthwash to help with the pain. MuGard is a mucositis mouthwash commonly prescribed for its efficacy and zero significant side effects. It is proven to significantly reduce pain caused by oral mucositis. During clinical trials, each patient continued the use of MuGard once the trial was complete. MuGard is also great for patients just starting cancer treatment since it is proven to prevent Oral Mucositis and can be taken as early as day one of cancer treatment schedules.
Getting Help Paying for MuGard
If your doctor has prescribed you with the Mucositis mouthwash MuGard, you may be eligible to receive a discount, along with other prescription medications you may have through our patient assistance programs. We utilize over 700 patient assistance programs to bring patients discounts or coverage for their medications they would otherwise not be able to afford. Millions of Americans do not have insurance to cover prescriptions or their insurance does not cover enough to make medicines affordable. If you are one of these Americans, check out our website to go over our eligibility requirements. If you think you are eligible, applications are free to fill out and can be done from the same site. To see other medications that we cover or discount, view the medication search forum, also listed on our website. If you find yourself with any questions about our services or medications, please call us today at 855-201-0232.